State RICO Statutes
RICO Report Podcast
Join Troutman Pepper White Collar and Litigation Partner Cal Stein for a special podcast series discussing the legal landscape surrounding the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
In this installment, Cal examines state RICO laws and how they compare with the federal RICO statute. In particular, Cal focuses on some the key areas where state RICO statutes can vary from federal RICO, and how those differences can practically impact the defense of a case. Specific topics include:
- History of state RICO statutes (4:45);
- Legislative intent underlying RICO statutes (7:29);
- State RICO statutes of limitations (11:38);
- Racketeering activity in state RICO statutes (13:43);
- State RICO definitions of pattern (16:22);
- Enterprise element under state RICO statutes (19:42);
- Variations in RICO conduct in state RICO statutes (21:23); and
- State RICO statutes' remedies (25:39).